“Simple is Good.”
-Jim Henson, It’s Not Easy Being Green: And Other Things to Consider
You may have noticed a few (BIG) changes at Hallmark eCards. We have completely redesigned the Browse, Search and Discover process for our service. This includes our user experience, style and design. Furthermore, the taxonomy of how we organize eCards and the algorithms that find and surface content have been seriously upgraded, too. Please keep reading to get a sense of what we changed, why we changed it, and how it works.
Hey, that’s not my grandpa!
If you haven’t been following the tumblr account for Grampa and Grand Master Flash then you’ve been missing out on plenty of accidentally adorable grandparents.
Apparently, grandparents are accidentally tagging Hip Hop forefather Grand Master Flash in their Facebook posts with surprising frequency, (enough to justify a tumblr account, anyway) and the posts and subsequent commenting are priceless. Check out a few…
We hope these posts remind you of how awesome grandparents are.
When you’re looking for romantic eCards for Anniversary, let us help. Our Romantic Anniversary eCards will sweep your loved one off his or her feet. I’ve selected 7 Anniversary eCards that say “I love you” in unique and memorable ways. Most of these cards are suitable for recipients of either sex and will work for relationship or marriage anniversaries.
6. Crazy Fish
The storks have landed! When everyone you know seems to be having babies, you can send your congratulations with these adorable new baby eCards. These ecards will have parents laughing and cooing even though they might be a little sleep deprived! We have cute eCards for new baby boys and new baby girls. Here are five of my faves:
Congratulations on your new reason to rock, roll and party every single day.
2. Baby Chase
Let the chase begin! Congratulations on your new baby!
A baby gives today’s plan: clean diapers, hide and seek and no spinach!
Baby Minnie will make any new parent smile.
Congratulations on your bouncing baby boy!
You don’t need to wait for a holiday to roll around to let someone know that you’re thinking of them. According to University of Michigan Psychology Professor Christopher Peterson, “One of the staples of positive psychology is the gratitude letter: a written and specific expression of thanks to someone who has been especially kind or important to you who has never heard you express your gratitude.” Sending eCards “just because” can boost your relationships with friends and family members. Here are three of the top reasons to send an eCard anytime:
1. Let someone know they’re important to you. Peterson writes, “The thing about writing a letter is that no one can multitask while doing so, unlike e-mails or telephone calls. A letter represents undivided attention and is precious as a consequence.” Like a good letter, an eCard is a sign of affection. It can be saved, reread, and cherished.
2. Keep in touch. You don’t have to wait for a life-changing event to let friends and family members know what you’re up to. Keeping in touch is more manageable if you drop loved ones a line every few weeks. Let them know what you’ve been doing and thinking, what a day in your life is like. The more you communicate, the easier it gets!
3. Send support or encouragement. Bring a smile to your recipient’s face. Showing someone that you’re thinking of them can brighten the darkest day. When life gives you a hard time or you’re anxious about something, it’s easy to feel alone. Sending an eCard can be an unexpected gift.
Below are a couple cute “Thinking of you” eCards that I’ve selected from our collection. Here are more anytime eCards for Facebook.
Wedding bells are in the air, so today we’d like to feature three of Hallmark’s wedding ecards. Two are romantic, and one is pretty funny–you’ll know which! You can send these and more wedding-themed ecards to the couples you know who are about to embark on their lives together.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…we created a collection of funny Star Wars ecards to brighten your day! The force is strong with these greeting cards, which you can send for many different occasions: birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Halloween, Father’s Day, or even for encouragement when the dark side strikes! Here are five of the top side-splitting Star Wars ecards:
1. Endless Day
You think your day feels long? Look at Luke’s! This ecard pokes fun at the climactic scene between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.
The Sith have their ways with the dark side of the Force, but did you also know they have a way with the ladies? Check out Darth Vader’s take on Valentine’s Day.
3. Wookie Love
Chewbacca, everyone’s favorite wookie, teaches us a few ways to say “I love you.”
Aboard the Death Star, two stormtroopers help make Darth Vader’s birthday celebration a blast!
Somewhere… there’s a wretched hive of scum and villainy waiting for you. Could it be Mos Eisley Cantina?
Not all of us get excited when our birthdays roll around. In fact, the prospect of turning another year older can make some people downright grouchy! Need to send a card to someone who’s “over the hill”? We’ve compiled a list of 10 funny birthday ecards that will help you turn your unwilling celebrant’s frown upside down :)
5. Wish Big
7. You’re Retro
10. Don’t Panic
Send one these or choose from many other funny ecards. Your birthday celebrant will be laughing their way into their next year!
Friendship Day is Sunday 8/3, and to celebrate, we’d like to share 20 great friendship quotes that we’ve collected. These quotes from famous writers, actors, philosophers, and politicians capture what it means to be a friend. Friends are the family you choose. They’re there for you when the going gets tough. They appreciate you as you are. They are the kindred spirits with whom your soul blossoms.
Let these special people know that they’re close to your heart by sending Friendship Day eCards.
1. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.”
― Elbert Hubbard
2. “Friendship is born at that moment when one man says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought that no one but myself . . .’”
― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves
3. “It’s the friends you can call up at 4 a.m. that matter.”
― Marlene Dietrich
4. “There is a magnet in your heart that will attract true friends. That magnet is unselfishness, thinking of others first; when you learn to live for others, they will live for you.”
– Paramahansa Yogananda
5. “I would rather walk with a friend in the dark, than alone in the light.”
― Helen Keller
6. “What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies.”
7. “A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.”
― Walter Winchell
8. “The language of friendship is not words but meanings.”
– Henry David Thoreau
9. “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art… It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.”
– C. S. Lewis
10. “Friends and good manners will carry you where money won’t go.”
– Margaret Walker
11. “Sometimes being a friend means mastering the art of timing. There is a time for silence. A time to let go and allow people to hurl themselves into their own destiny. And a time to prepare to pick up the pieces when it’s all over.”
– Octavia Butler
12. “Some people go to priests; others to poetry; I to my friends.”
– Virginia Woolf
13. “Lay this unto your breast: Old friends, like old swords, still are trusted best.”
– John Webster
14. “Love is blind; friendship closes its eyes.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche
15. “Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together.”
– Woodrow T. Wilson
16. “Friendship consists in forgetting what one gives and remembering what one receives.”
– Alexander Dumas
17. “There is nothing better than a friend, unless it is a friend with chocolate.”
― Linda Grayson
18. “Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit.”
19. “One loyal friend is worth ten thousand relatives.”
20. “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.”
– Marcel Proust
Visit Hallmark eCards to send a friendship eCard!
You’ve selected your eCard, you’re all ready to send it off, and then you hit a roadblock: the personalized message. We’ve all been there. What can you write that’s meaningful yet pithy, a few lines that will rise to the occasion? Sometimes your mind just draws a blank. Here are three recommendations for breaking through that pesky writer’s block:
1. Write about why you chose this eCard for your recipient.
There’s a reason why you chose this card for this particular person, and often that’s a good place to start. Maybe the eCard reminds you of a memory or a joke that you two shared or a unique characteristic that that person has. Maybe the card rings true to the way that you feel about this person.
2. Recount a personal memory.
A great way to get the message ball rolling is to recall an experience that you and your recipient shared. What was the last adventure you went on together? What was that funny story your recipient told you the last time you two had dinner? Describing a recent face-to-face interaction will add another dimension to your eCard message.
3. Get personal.
The best cards that I’ve received have been the ones that make me think about my relationship with the sender in a new or unexpected light. So don’t be afraid to get personal! Talk about what your relationship with that person means to you. Tell them about a time they made you feel vulnerable or special. Let them know if they’ve inspired you. Share something you’ve been afraid to say. Like any type of communication, the more we take risks and put ourselves out there, the more meaningful our interactions will be.
All right, now it’s time to put fingers to keyboard. Start writing and let us know how these tips worked for you!